Memorial Day Weekend is coming up and soon after that summer vacations. There are always days, weekends, and weeks when we fall off track and need to get back to working towards our goals. Having a “bad” meal or “bad” weekend isn’t the end of the world! There are many times I need to remind myself what my goals are and take a breather to get back to my healthy routine. Yes, even dietitians fall off the wagon occasionally! (I rarely can resist a cupcake.) I’m sharing with you how I get back on track (after those cupcakes) and how you should too.
5 Steps to Bounce Back
- Hydrate! Your body is likely dehydrated after traveling, drinking, and having so much fun you forget to drink water. The easiest way to rehydrate is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water throughout the day. Fruits and veggies can also assist in the hydration process.
- Eat whole foods. Your body is craving all those nutrients that you’ve been missing while eating all those not-so-good foods. Go for fresh fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates for a balanced diet of nutrients that are easy for your body to absorb. All that fiber and water after hydrating will help you reset.
- Sweat it out. Get back to the gym! Those first couple workouts will be tough, but you’ll feel amazing afterwards. All that extra glycogen stored in your muscles wants to get out. So help yourself by doing some intense cardio, a boot camp class, or something similar.
- Rest and reboot. Take some time for yourself to figure out why you got off track. Also, take time to remember what your goals are and why you set them in the first place. Writing down attainable goals is always a good idea. Think of it as a to do list and be specific!
- Take it easy on yourself. It happens to everyone. Treats are okay! Just because you “slipped up” once doesn’t mean you need to give up. Think positively and know that you can keep up this healthy lifestyle you have chosen for yourself!