The sun is starting to shine brighter and it’s time to start showing some skin and healthy hair is always in season. Vitamin E and biotin are both keys to get glowing. Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that acts as an antioxidant. It protects cells against damage caused by free radicals and boosts our immune system against viruses and bacteria, as well as plays a role in red blood cell formation. Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that is essential for growth and also assists with metabolism. Biotin is found in foods that are good sources of B vitamins. While you can get both of these as supplements I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals from real food! Check out how you can get plenty of both below.
Vitamin E Sources
- Almonds – the perfect snack or salad and oatmeal topper
- Avocados – a creamy addition to salads, sandwiches, and sides
- Spinach, kale, broccoli aka green leafy vegetables – take your pick as a side or salad
- Sunflower seeds – sprinkle on salads or as a snack
- Vegetable oils, such as sunflower, safflower, corn, and soybean oils – cook with these on occasion
My favorite vitamin E-rich snack: half an avocado drizzled with one teaspoon of honey and topped with one tablespoon of sunflower seeds.
- Avocados – rich in vitamin E and biotin so the perfect excuse for guacamole
- Chocolate – a one ounce snack with some added antioxidants
- Eggs – breakfast (duh) or hardboiled for a snack
- Legumes – beans and lentils as a side or on a salad
- Milk – drink 8 ounces with breakfast or use in a smoothie
- Nuts – a handful is always a perfect snack
- Nutritional yeast – sprinkle on oats, granola, yogurt, salads, or in a smoothie
- Pork and salmon – both can be the star of your dinner